The happiest day of your life
doesn’t have to be the most expensive
Smart wedding plans can make all the difference
Prep smart for that big day
You’ve set a date. Your friends and family know. You’ve started talking about venues and guest lists. It’s going to be the happiest day of your life...then you see your bank account.
A wedding is a joyous occasion, but preparing for one can be stressful. You have to pick the right photographer and cake, all the while making sure that both families are happy as can be.
But at the end of it all, you’ll be marrying that special person you love. Wouldn’t it be great to not fall into substantial debt on your first day as a married couple?
One hundred things need to be done before the wedding. The last thing you want to do is talk about finances.
Before you go down the aisle, make sure you draw up a budget.
Tips on saving money for your big day
- Decide where to splurge, and where to save: Break down your budget according to what the money is going towards (photographer, menu, entertainment, etc.) and figure out what requires the most--and least--amount of money.
- Create a separate wedding account: It’s a good idea to open a separate account devoted to wedding funds, in order to track it and keep it separate from your other savings.
- Invest the gifted money from the wedding: Rather than spending it all or tucking it away, invest your gifted money wisely. Speak with the financial experts at JMMB; we offer a great Bridal Registry for just this purpose. Who knows, this can grow to be the deposit on your new house!
- Cut back on monthly and “trickle” expenses: You can find extra money by simply cutting back on monthly fees, or small, spontaneous purchases.
- Choose the date wisely: Certain dates and times of year may be more expensive than others.
- Don’t feel confined to traditions that may go beyond your budget: If you don’t want floral arrangements or a wedding cake, save money and find alternatives that feel more comfortable to you.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate: Research vendors and shop around. You may find someone who is willing to work with you and give you a good deal.
- Talk to our experts: We’re here to help. Reaching your wedding planning goal starts with a plan. We can help you set that plan in motion.