Don’t neglect to pay
your older self
So you can thank your younger self later
Don’t put yourself last
It’s easy to put off saving for retirement; you have bills to pay, a family to take care, and maybe a monthly car payment. If retirement’s not on the horizon, it’s easy to make excuses for why you’re not investing in your future. You can always pay yourself when you have more money, right?
The problem is that “when” often turns into “never”. Life will always give you a reason to push retirement goals to the side.
Paying into retirement may sound difficult. But all you have to do is make a plan—and stick to it. You deserve to reap the benefits of your hard work. So, pay yourself first. As retirement gets closer, that nest egg will only get larger. Think about how great you’ll feel then.
What happens if you don’t save enough for retirement? Or, if you make the wrong investment choices?
On pensions, nest eggs, and making money after retirement
Tips on building your retirement savings
- Look at what you’re spending: Cut down on things you don’t need. Save money by cooking at home, rather than going out. Try to get a little more life out of your clothes and shoes, before buying new ones.
- Figure out how much to save and invest: Have a financial planning conversation with a licensed financial advisor. Figure out how much you need to save and invest in order to retire.
- Understand risk: Sure, that new stock your uncle is raving about could make you rich. It could also make your investments disappear. A financial advisor can help you figure out the right balance.
- Put more in when you can: A work bonus or income from side work can sometimes be the key to growing your nest egg to where you want it.
- Downsize your home: If the kids have moved out, switching to a smaller home could save you a lot of money. It may even give you enough funds to purchase another property that you could rent.
- Don’t dip into this piggy bank: Nothing can devastate your retirement savings more; build a separate emergency fund instead.
- Talk to our experts: We’re here to help. Reaching your retirement goal starts with a plan. We can help you
Start a retirement plan with JMMB
Start saving for the future, today